Saturday, April 23, 2011

Training

I've been reading a lot of articles lately about how to train for a race. A few weeks back a friend was talking about and article she read about interval training and how marathoners who include walking in their runs tend to finish with better times. This sounded interesting to me, but I wasn't completely sold. This was, until I found another article, in a magazine about a 10 weeks to 10k plan.

The plan basically suggested that you run ten minutes and walk one mintue for a certain distance, gradually working up to 10kms. This really clicked with me. Why can't I try this for my training? I've been so concerend about being able to run the full 5k... that I've been mentally blocking myself each time I run. Maybe I should start thinking about trying the 10:1 ratio in my training sessions to help me go the distance. When I first started running, my training plan was based on intervals, so I'm used to the breaks. It worked well for me then, why not now? I think I'm going to give it a shot!

2 comments:

  1. You can do it. I'm inspired for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amber! I finished my race and am looking for a new one to run now!

    ReplyDelete