Saturday, August 7, 2010

Couch to 5K

I decided on a whim to start running. I was intrigued. A lot of people in my life right now are running, running for fun, running for marathons, and running to get into shape. This all peaked my interest, the thought of a running group sounded like fun. Don't get me wrong, I loathe running, but for some reason I wanted to try it out.

I know that the key to running is to start slow and do it in bursts. I still wasn't sure exactly where to start. A friend of a friend recommended I look up the 'Couch to 5K' training program, and so I did. The program has you run 3 times a week and starts you off with small bursts of running alternating with walking and slowly bumps up your running time and decreases the walking.

This was week one for me. In week one the program has you do a 5 minute warm up walk followed by alternating running for 60 seconds and walking for 90 seconds segments, then a 5 minute cool down. In total, you end up running for 8 minutes which seems achieveable.

I convinced a friend to run with me so I could have a little motivation. I found some podcasts online to help keep track of the time. While I'm not a huge fan of the music choice, they really keep with keeping me motivated.

Our first run went pretty good. Running for 60 seconds seemed so easy... too easy. But by the end of the run I was exhausted. We ended up skipping the last two and a half running intervals because we were both DONE! We ran along a trail so it was hard to map how far we actually went.

The second run I did on my own. I ran around my neighbourhood so that I could see (for fun) how far I actually ran. This time I finished all of the running intervals (yay!). The distance ended up being just under 2.5kms!! I was impressed.

Run #3 was Friday. I was tired, after the 2nd segment I thought there was no way I would ever make it through all 8. Somehow I managed to do it, and I did it in a faster time than I did on my second run.

They are small improvements, but improvements none the less. I'm going to keep up with this, I'd like to see what I can do.

2 comments:

  1. Although I'm utilizing a treadmill for my C25K, your description of each day sounds just like mine! I sped up my pace on Friday and thought I would pass out but I pushed through and felt good about it!

    So glad you tweeted me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Kim!

    It's nice to hear that you are going through the same challenges and milestones as me. We should check in with each other to see how we're doing.

    ReplyDelete